Cleburne is a city in and the county seat of Johnson County, Texas, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 29,337. The city is named in honor of Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general. Lake Pat Cleburne, the reservoir that provides water to the city and surrounding area, is also named after him.
Cleburne is Johnson County’s third county seat. It was formerly known as Camp Henderson, a temporary Civil War outpost from which Johnson County soldiers would depart for war (most of them would serve under General Cleburne). The city was formally incorporated in 1871.
In August 1886 the Texas Farmers’ Alliance met at Lee’s Academy and adopted a seventeen-point political resolution, commonly known as the Cleburne Demands, which was the first major document of the agrarian revolt occurring at the end of the late nineteenth century.
In 1900 Cleburne was the site of the founding convention of the Texas State Federation of Labor.