Crowley is a city located mainly in Tarrant County in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 12,838 at the 2010 census, up from 7,467 at the 2000 census.
Around 1848, pioneers began farming the area around Deer Creek. The settlement moved a mile or so west to the site of present-day downtown Crowley when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built pens and laid tracks there. The first station depot was built in 1885. The community was named for S. H. Crowley, who was the master of transportation for the railroad.
An election to approve the incorporation of Crowley was held on February 3, 1951. The town council voted to change the designation of Crowley from a town to a city on September 3, 1972.
Crowley is in southern Tarrant County, with a 5.8-acre (2 ha) portion extending south into Johnson County. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.3 square miles (18.8 km2), of which 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2), or 0.18%, are water.
The city is bordered to the north and east by Fort Worth and to the south by Burleson. The center of Fort Worth is 13 miles (21 km) north of the center of Crowley. Interstate 35W passes 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the Crowley city limits, with access from Exit 39, Rendon–Crowley Road. The center of Crowley sits at the crossroads of Farm to Market Roads 1187 and 731.